MCU Timeline By:
Chronological order of Release Date
“The Incredible Hulk” (2008)
1 hour and 52 minutes
End Credit Scene:
Action, science fiction, adventure, superhero, thriller
Violence, drug use, sexual content, language, PTSD, trauma, paranoia, death.
Weapons of mass destruction, militarization, superheroes, villains, romance, imprisonment, caged, heart monitors, running, avoidance, power hungry, antidotes, getting rid of unwanted characteristics vs controlling it (in this case, being Hulk), saving the day, anger, love, hate, on the run, escapism, supersoldier, safety/unsafe, flashbacks, scientists, lies, “[Banner’s whole body is considered] government property”, emotional, rescue, gamma poisoning, traveling.
Where I watched it from:
Amazon Prime Video
As previously done in my “Iron Man” review, I will not be writing my own version of “The Incredible Hulk’s” plot summary, rather instead listing some other accounts of people who’ve done it far better than I ever could. 💚🖤
- Link 1 from Roger Ebert
- Link 2 from James Berardinelli at ReelViews
- Link 3 from Wulff Den on Youtube
**If you happen to write MCU reviews and would like me to shout you out in the future with the corresponding movie, just let me know in a comment or email via by Contact page or my other social media. Thanks for contributing!!
Memorable Quotes or Scenes:
- When the army leader told Tim Roth’s character about the Hulk and Roth was confused but the guy just said, “It was Banner.” That just really struck me and really stood out to me. I think it highlights the fact that everyone (or almost everyone, at least the big people in charge) were treating Banner and the Hulk and the situation like an object and a weapon of mass destruction rather than seeing and believing in his human side and that he’s not just some menace out to rule the streets. I don’t know, I thought that that was important. (Especially with the contrast we get and see with Roth’s character, hot damn. Banner was just out here living his best life (or trying to) and he wanted few things but the simplest and most basic of those needs just weren’t met. Sad.)
- This movie overall to me is just very saddening and maddening.
- The thematic concept of cures vs getting rid of things vs controlling things vs acceptance
- The “[we] gotta try” sacrifice. Always a classic
- Concept piece of: “you’re not a monster” or you’re not a murderer
- “What if I told you we were building a team together?” I forget who said this but dun dun dunnnnn. Foreshadowing haha
- I suppose it is a good thing to also wonder what the aftermath was like for Banner after he ran away at the end of this movie and the strain of the relationship he has with authority and how that is brought back into play in later films (Looking at you, Civil War–even though, yeah, Hulk wasn’t in that but if he had been, what side would he have been on?)
Anger, very well done but super heartbreaking, unsatisfactory and doesn’t allow me to repeatedly watch the movie over and over again (limited viewership)
Fan Fiction Ideas/Themes to Explore in My Fics:
- Cures vs acceptance (the golden apple vs acceptance)
- Not deserving happy things or romance
- Being controlled or manipulated by others
- US military
- “Monsters” (what makes someone a monster? Could definitely overlap well with Loki!)
- “Home” (what is a home? What makes it a home?)
- Safety/lack of safety
- Stopping from killing
- Romantic interest’s love and understanding
- Being suspicious of others’ intentions
- How the military attacked Hulk rather than approached carefully, diplomatically and delicately
- Family life (or lack thereof; not allowing one’s self a family life, goes back into deserving and worth and paranoia)
- Eventual understanding instead of an us vs them
Estimated Timeline of When I First Watched this Movie:
Phhhhewww, what a GOOD question. I mean, besides this rewatch for the review… definitely a few years ago. Probably after I watched the Avengers. I think it bothered me just as much then as it did this year hahaha. This isn’t a super memorable film for me and not something I’d watch over and over but I know at some point I did watch it, maybe just on regular TV or eventually a DVD. Probs took it out at least once from the library itself (which I’ll be doing again soon with my partner, yay (as such it’s a big push and pull to get this review finally published while it’s still 2021 hah)).
Subtle or Overt Preparation for Future (or past) Films:
Definitely the introduction to the Avengers and putting together a team. That’s for sure. I think also that contemplation of which side Banner would have been on if he had been in Civil War is a good question and potential wonderful fan fiction idea someone should write about (if they haven’t already). Of course this film drew on the first film’s full on original backstory of Banner but like that one I can’t stand to rewatch it too much. It’s a good movie, this one, it’s just so frustrating. And really sad because I love this science bro and that’s tough to see him struggle so much. But I do think I have a lot more ground in store for my own Loki centered Avengers fanfics based on having rewatched this movie (regardless of all the avoidance, stress, procrastination and more that went on in the months after I fully sat down to watch it. Let’s just hope Thor doesn’t take quite as long.) I also liked that concept of being “a monster” because that’s heavily in play with characters upcoming like Loki. Also it’s great to see more of the mental health representation in these MCU movies too. So, yeah! Good job!! Thanks for reading ahaha
….”Iron Man 2″ (May 2010)….
Technical information regarding this post:
This post began with the showing of the film April 5th 2021 at
4pm with some notes in progress, Apr. 5th for outline of review
online and then working on the review itself Apr. 6th around 7p.
Worked on again Apr. 7th at 12:30p - 1:30p.
Worked on again Apr. 29th at 9p, 10p.
Worked on last: April 30th 2021.
Revised, edited, completed, finished now on Nov. 17th 2021.
Can't believe it's been that long. Le sigh.
Thank you so much for sticking by me and reading!! If you got this far, leave a green heart emoticon down in the comments! 💚💚 I’m sooooo sorry this review took as long as it did. Ooof. Also I apologize for my most random of disappearances. Not just on here, but also on Twitter. New job, my partner, Fai (who my last post was about), friends, trainings for a new job and reading some books or not reading books and then reading books and now being stuck trying to publish some backlogged posts (like for books) as well as with this series and then actually finally finish watching Thor so I can get even FURTHER along in the MCU… plus the countless hours of procrastination, avoidance, anxiety, stress and poor time management. Yeah, it all led to here. How exhausting. But, we’re here now and that’s what counts. More to come very soon. See you all then!! XXX